Thursday, November 11, 2004

Who are I? Who Are We?

We are from Guangxi University of Technology (GXUT).Recently we have just concluded our course English Through Movies,which lasted two month in this academic year.I showed my three classes such movies as Sleepless in Seattle,Parent Trap,The Shanshawk Redemption,As Good As It Gets,The Dead Poet Society,etc. More than one hundred students were with me throughout the course.After each movie,student did quizzes for comprehension work.I used those questions from www.triv.net or www.funtrivia.com to make the quizzes interesting and meaningful.Some did relatively well in the quizzes while some didn't do so well as their English was not sufficient for English movies.They relied too much on the subtitles,which were often in Chinese.
Now that the course is over,I have asked students to role-play some episode of the movies as part of the terminal examination from which they get credits in their study. Some shy students admitted they were poor at stage performances and,therefore,they would choose to write short movies comments and get them published on www.imdb.com.
Below is the first movie review from a girl-student,who is now a junior in our department. I didn't check her grammar mistakes in her writing so that viewers will have a chance to read authentic writing from Chinese students who learn English as foreign language (EFL). I wish my students could read writings from other non-English speaking countries and make friends with them.
The Internet has brought us EFL teacher an unprecedented golden age for teaching English.So far I have brought over one thousand students both in and outside our college online,who have ,more or less,benefitted from online learning.Two or three of my colleagues have made efforts in joining me online.You are welcome to see them online:




2 Comments:

At November 12, 2004 at 5:03 AM, Blogger NellyG said...

You did it! Great Job!

sergeiG

 
At January 27, 2005 at 6:01 PM, Blogger Buthaina al-Othman said...

Thanks, Yaodong for the links to quizzes. When your students are going to start their own blogs? Please let me know so that my students and I can communicate with them from Kuwait.

Good luck, my friend, :-)

Buth

 

Post a Comment

<< Home